Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Magazine of Yoga published my article about Joanna Tebbs Young

This is one of the articles I was working on at the New Orleans Cafe. I received a comment from my last post, which listed the things that get in the way of writing, and it made me feel like all the pushing, pain, stress, and work was WORTH IT.

Thanks Tameka.

Last Wednesday, I pushed through the negative and my article got done. Now I feel good sharing it. I am also sharing the 2nd half of the list created at "Write to Think". During this workshop I remember feeling hopeful when Jim Sparrell was kind enough to cover the negative list with the positive list (much to Katt Lissard's feigned dismay). That is what I am trying to do- cover the negative with the positive, and learn from BOTH.


Things that help you write
  • Getting enough sleep
  • Not discussing an idea
  • Discussing an idea
  • Sex therapy
  • Animal therapy
  • Self-medication
  • Self-care
  • Smoking something
  • Visualization
  • Acting it out
  • Reading what you love
  • Coffee shop or communal spot
  • Unplugging from the internet/email/Facebook
  • Watching movies
  • Silence
  • Music
  • A place to track interruptions and intuitions
o   E.g. having a notebook next to you to write down interruptions in thought
  • Mind map/Clustering/Webbing
  • Writing on something beautiful with something beautiful
o   E.g. physical pen and paper
  • Lowering my expectations
o   E.g. 250 words/day
  • Setting parameters
  • Time – setting a timer
  • Dark chocolate
  • Exercise
  • Going outside
  • Changing locations
  • Drinking tea
  • Starting project in journal
  • Writing something else
  • Not being self-conscious
  • Imagining a sympathetic audience
  • Interested person to share with

I have people listening to me.
Do it .

I can help people with my words.
Do it.

When I finish this, I can talk smack about doing it!
Do it.

And keep doing it!

Imagine, plan, prepare, execute...
"And you will know them by their fruit"

No comments:

Post a Comment